September 2022 Sales (LATEST)
The Seiko SARB017 is a fan favorite for a reason—the lovely and interesting dial in green is unique, but its other details are complementary as well. The finishing of the case is nicely done, the hands and the indices add a vintage twist, the appeal has been proven to be enduring even more than 10 years later, and the price is just wonderful. Even if it has been discontinued, the watch can still be acquired at attractive deals.
- Movement: automatic
- Caliber: Seiko 6R15
- Power reserve: ~50 hours
- Frequency: 21,600 vph
- Case diameter: 38 mm
- Case thickness: 12 mm
- Glass: sapphire crystal
- Functions: hour, minute, second, date
- Water resistance: 200 m/20 atm/656 ft
When the Seiko SARB017 was released in 2006, it was not that different in the technical aspects from the Alpinists that were released the same year. They all became fan favorites, but the SARB017 stood out because of its green dial, a choice that remains scarce even today. It is a sight to behold in every angle especially since the sunburst dial appears to be of a different shade every time. Even the case complements the beauty of the dial when it reflects light. The hands and the indices add a tinge of vintage when set against the lovely green dial, but even years after, it did not have to suffer from obvious wear that older watches have—the sapphire crystal is scratch-resistant. While that is nothing new or revolutionary, the fact remains that not every glass, especially of that belonging to the SARB017’s price range, is made equally. The watch is legible regardless of the time, thanks to the lume that is impressive on the Seiko SARB017.
- It runs with an automatic movement with sufficient 50-hour power reserve and 23 jewels that can be hacked and hand wound.
- It’s made with Diashock, the shock resistance Seiko has devised for the movement of their watches.
- The sapphire crystal enclosing its dial is an extremely durable material that’s scratch resistant.
- It’s an elegant watch designed with colors that complement each other beautifully.
- The sunray dial is absolutely stunning with a striking green color, which, depending on the lighting, gives off beautiful shades from deep emerald to bright green.
- You can wear it either with a suit or in a dressed-down style.
- This stunning timepiece can withstand professional marine activity and serious surface water sports with its 200-meter water resistance.
- The strap is waterproof.
- Date, hour, minute, and second functions
- It has an inner bezel that serves as a compass that can be turned by the crown by the 4 o’ clock position.
Many would find the SARB017 satisfactory in terms of size, but the case may not be the same for those who have bigger wrists. Exhibition casebacks are also a welcome delight when it comes to watches; sadly, this Alpinist doesn’t feature one, although it is well-made. The quality of the leather strap and the bracelet is just right for the price, but it isn’t consistent with the rest of the watch.
- Its movement isn’t the best in terms of accuracy. It may have to be changed about twice a month.
- It doesn’t have an exhibition case back. Although it’s not a big deal for some, some may not be pleased about an automatic watch without an exhibition case back.
Image Source: Watches You Can Afford, Chrono24
I have over a dozen collections in my arsenal and I’m confident to say that the SARB017 is probably in the top 3. Such a classy watch!
When, how much and where did you get your SARB017? I can’t find any suitable place in Malaysia to buy.