High above the ranks of the finest watchmakers lie Greubel Forsey, a brand known for their extremely precise, highly complex, and very technical timepieces. Their collections demand respect from all of the horology industry, and with the spectacaular pieces they have made through the years, they have earned more than just respect, but admiration and impeccable image.
Hence, it was a bit of a stretch for followers of the brand to wrap their mind around the idea of Greubel Forsey making a “low-end” watch with simple features. But when the Signature 1 Platinum Watch came out, it exceeded expectations, just like every timepiece the brand releases.
Release Date & Price
Release date: 2016
The Signature 1 was the brand’s way of meeting the wishes of the brand-lovers to finally get their hands on a Greubel Forsey without shelling out more than 500 grand. It was a refreshing change for the brand, especially with features that differ from the usual complicated pieces, but still very much a Greubel Forsey original.
- Case: Platinum 950 or steel with convex synthetic sapphire crystal
- Case back: Transparent back with asymmetrical convex synthetic sapphire crystal
- Dial: Black-anthracite gold dial, white hour-ring and minute-circle, polished bevel
- Movement dimensions: Diameter : 34.40 mm; thickness : 7.40 mm
- Movement parts: 190 parts
- Power Reserve: 54 hours
- Displays: Hours, minutes, and small seconds
- Strap: Hand-sewn alligator
One of the main selling point of this watch is its price—it’s just too irresistible to purchase a Greubel Forsey watch for less. While obviously simpler than the other watches from the brand, Greubel Forsey isn’t one to skip on magnificence in making the the 3-hander and no-complication timepiece. The finishing on the Signature 1 Platinum is superb, making the details shine and highlighting the perfect execution of the watchmaking process.
As an essential watch, the Greubel Forsey Signature 1 does not have any added complication, rather, just a traditional watch that only shows time. While it also doesn’t carry any tourbillon, which is usually showcased in the brand’s pieces, the Signature 1 Platinum has a beautiful traditional balance that can be viewed through the open design of the balance wheel. As you look into the insides of the piece, you simply wouldn’t miss admiring the counter sinks polished to perfection, as well as the bevels and the inclined facets.
Some viewed the Signature 1 as a total contradiction of the image that Greubel Forsey has built for itself over the years. Simplicity just doesn’t easily go with owning a Greubel Forsey timepiece. The design and features feel like a compromise in order to accommodate the price, while there are a lot of competition offering the same features at a much cheaper price point.
- IWC Schaffhausen Portofino Automatic Day & Night 37 Watch
- Ralph Lauren RL67 Safari Grand Date Watch
- Tag Heuer Bella Hadid Limited-Edition Link Lady Watch
- Panerai Luminor Marina 1950 America’s Cup Watch